Stadler Stahlguss AG has been through some exciting times, always driven by a passion for innovation.
Originally founded by Mr Britt as Eisen- und Stahlgiesserei AG on Wydenauweg in 1905, the company grew at a steady rate over the course of the next 37 years. The foundry was then bought by the Hispano-Suiza Group in 1942 and remained at its production site on Wydenauweg until 1963.
In 1963 the facilities moved to their current location on Johann-Renfer-Strasse. The site was built from scratch with the cornerstones for cutting-edge production being laid in 1964, when the company Walter built the first electric arc furnace. Still under the management of the Hispano-Suiza Group, the site also introduced its first radiography enclosure.
The site in Biel was bought by Von Roll AG in 1977, which went on to found Von Roll Stahlgiesserei Biel AG. As part of the Von Roll Group, the foundry continued to grow, adopting a number of the Group's standards in the areas of processes and systems.
In 2002, Von Roll Stahlgiesserei Biel AG was transferred to Swiss Metal Casting (SMC) as part of a management buy-out.
In 2004, the Stadler Rail Group decided to adopt its key strategic supplier into the Stadler Group, creating Stadler Stahlguss AG. This major strategic step had an important impact on the complex, premium quality cast steel parts supplied for the Stadler Rail Group's sophisticated railway vehicles and also ensured the constant availability of parts for bogie production at Stadler Winterthur AG. Under the guidance of the Stadler Rail Group, Stadler Stahlguss AG has grown from strength to strength, attracting both customers in the Group and improving business with third parties. Thanks to its wide pool of knowledge and ongoing enhancements and improvements to its production system, Stadler Stahlguss AG offers premium performance, consistently high quality standards and sophisticated components, making it one of Europe's leading suppliers of cast steel products. By investing in cutting-edge water-cooled electric arc furnaces and a state-of-the-art radiography enclosure, Stadler Stahlguss AG has taken yet another technological leap forwards.